Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The life of the others

I cannot say it is one of the best movies I recently saw, but I can say it is one of the movies I liked best (recently).
May be because I feel personally involved in it, living in the ex DDR (GDR) Republic.

I like to read History, not the one written in books, the one told by ordinary people, living an ordinary life, happening to be more or less in places where history is made.
And I saw that whatever is the frame, the life is similar.
Good or bad, better, sometimes good and sometimes bad.
It is the ordinary life made by ordinary people.
Good people and bad people.

I liked this movie, because it is a fair mirror of unfair events.
Not just one sided right and one sided wrong.
Mostly both sided feelings, including the ones we mostly despise which are oppression, unjustice and arrogance.
From a diamond nothing grows, from manure flowers do.

Watch the clip

It is in German.
Here is the text:

I've got a new one.

Honecker comes into his office,

opens the window, sees the sun, and says...

What's wrong?

Oh, excuse me... I just...

No, carry on, colleague!

No harm in laughing about
the Party Chairman, is there.

I probably know the joke anyway.

Come on, tell us!

Well... Honecker...

I mean, the Comrade General Secretary
sees the sun and says,

- "Good morning, dear sun!"
- More like, "Good morning, dear sun!"

The sun replies, "Good morning, dear Erich!"

And at noon, Erich goes to
the window and says,

"Good day, dear sun!"

The sun replies, "Good day, dear Erich!"

In the evening, Erich says again,

"Good evening, dear sun!"

and the sun doesn't reply.

"Good evening, dear sun... "

"What's wrong?" he asks.

And the sun replies,

"Screw you, I'm in the West now!"

Name?

Rank? Department?


Me?

Stigler.

2nd Lieutenant Axel Stigler. Dept. M.

I don't have to tell you

what this means for your career.

Please, Comrade Lieutenant Colonel,
I was just...

You were just deriding the Party!
That's incitement,

and likely just the tip of the iceberg!

I will report this to the Minister's office.

No comments: